To Hell & Back 2015

Hell & Back is the original stage race in South Africa. This race started way back in 1995 before I even knew something like mtb'ing existed, celebrating it's 21st anniversary in 2015.

According to the old timers in my training group this race used to be even more popular but with the glut of stage races to choose from on the calendar and being nestled in between high profile races like Wines2Whales and the Double Century the Hell&Back is flying slightly below the radar nowadays.

Back in 2012 this was my first attempt at a stage race. My goal then was to do the 120km (60 in & 60 out) in 7h00 and maybe sneak into the top 50. I failed at both.... 3 years later I had a chance to try again. This time I would be a bit older but the flipside I was now fitter, rode a 29er instead of a 26er and had the benefit of more experience. Which would count most on the day?

Day 1

The 60km stages are easy to underestimate given the relatively short distances, but along with the extreme mountain weather conditions there are no flat sections to get into a rhythm, you are either climbing up steep hills or bombing down treacherous descents. My friends/partners who were supposed to ride with me the weekend bailed on me so on 14 November I was lining up at the start with a large group of supporters cheering me on but nobody I knew riding with me.


The race almost immediately starts with a 20km climb up Swartberg Pass. I'm not the strongest climber so the front riders quickly disappeared in the distance but I was chuffed that as we soldiered up Swartberg pass, I managed to maintain a steady pace. Even near the top where the gradient climbs steadily not many riders passed me.  After you reach the top there is a quick descent down to the turnoff to "Die Hel" and then it is undulating steep hills & sharp descents for about 40km into hell.

The field was quite spread out by now and it seemed that only the leading lady, Ischen Stopforth and another male rider were in touching distance. I got close to catching them a few times but every time I got close they seemed to find a bit of extra energy to stay ahead of me!

Just as you think you have reached your destination, 9km before the finish, the race has one final sting in the tail - Heartbreak Hill - a massive climb of about 5 kilometers before the final descent to the finish line. I managed to catch the male rider accompanying Ischen right at the top but she managed to stay ahead of me right to the finish.

Finishing Day 1


Family & friends were waiting for me at the finish line, was a bit surprised and very chuffed to hear I'm in the Top 20 when I crossed the finish line in  3h07, 24 minutes faster than my previous attempt! We hanged around in the hospitality area for a long time, cheering all the riders coming in and then took the drive to Koot Kordier's house where we relaxed for the rest of the day.

Braai at Koort Kordier's house


Day 2

Day 2 starts with you looking straight up at a mountain, looking at the little lorry carrying all the camping luggage, carefully negotiating his way round the tight switchbacks snaking up the climb, knowing that in a few minutes it will be your turn to struggle up the climb. This is the only race I know you start in your granny gear as the climb literally starts at the starting line.

Not sure if I had a few beers to many the previous evening or whether it is just because I'm a bad climber, but I struggled a bit with the steep climb out of the Gamkaskloof valley, few more riders than yesterday passed me on the first climb.

After the climb it is a quick & treacherous downhill down Heartbreak Hill and then again rolling hills climbing your way to the top of Swartberg pass. I didn't feel as strong as yesterday and as we climbed the conditions got progressively colder with even a bit of rain. As we got nearer to the top I really regretted leaving my warm clothes in the car!

A few riders passed me as we made our way up the mountains, but when an older gentleman in black passed me about 5km from the top I decided that was enough for the day, and did my best to hang on to his back wheel. Luckily I knew the last 20km of the stage is downhill so I didn't mind burning the last matches to hang on.

Finally, we reached the top after a last few torturous swithchbacks up Swartberg Pass. It was misty and freezing up there so I didn't hang around and started the 20km descent down Swartberg Pass. After a fast & furious descent I finally caught the older gentleman at the bottom of the pass and we rode the final few kilometers together. He told me he is from Kimberley, and as there aren't any big climbs in the area, he do training rides into the headwind to make him stronger (that strategy certainly worked on the day!)

Supporters at the finish line!

I finished in 3h21, a bit slower than the day before in 22nd place, finishing 21st overall with a total
time of 6h28m. So both goals achieved, a Top 50 finish and a Sub-7 finishing time. Setting me up nicely for my first attempt at the Attakwas in January..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sub-3 Argus - Part 1 - Assembling the pieces of the puzzle

CTCT 2017 -The puppet that never got the chance to grow into a real live boy

Sani2C - Day 2 - Umkomaas Valley