Trans Karoo 2016 - The Up Ride - Again

My support team braves the cold weather
5h30, 30 April 2016 my support team and I arrived at Kaleo, Ceres for my second Trans Karoo Up Ride. The day before a cold front swept through the Western Cape, by now the rain clouds had passed but the freezing temperatures still lingered. There were about 120 other riders at the start point, the numbers a bit down from previous years. My training partner & companion on the 2014 up-ride Dewald was also there to keep me company, the plan was that we would stick together for the first 200 km to Ouberg and then each do the climb at their own pace.

Dewald & I
At 7h00 we were were off, weather was still frosty in the Koue Bokkeveld and the road wet from the previous night's rain. Dewald & I started right at the back of the small field, riding at our own mellow pace not hooking up to any of the little groups that formed at the start. The field quickly spread out and the first few kilometers were easy going, after about 30km we spotted a medium sized group just ahead and I thought that these people would be the annointed companions once we hit the open spaces of the Tankwa Karoo (with the possible accompanying cross & headwinds). However just as we caught them, the route descended down a small valley down to Karoo-poort, suddenly the tempo upped dramatically, the little group scattered. Dewald and I managed to hold on to the front riders up to Waterpoint 1 just after Karoo poort. My support crew made it there just in time to say hello, apparently the directions from the race organisers were a bit confusing!



Waterpoint 

After waterpoint 1 the group scattered a little, but most of us re-joined soon after. We were about 9 riding together through the wide open Tankwa Karoo spaces, every now and then  a lone rider would get caught and hook onto the group or another will fall off the group. We had a light crosswind from the south for most of the way and our little group did a particularly bad job of doing the basic roadie thing that help in these conditions ie riding in a echelon. Mostly we were a confusing, disorganised semi-bundle where each rider did his own thing.

Baviaansgat

We reached the 2nd waterpoint at Baviaansgat without incident, in 2014 it was the stretch between waterpoint 2 and waterpoint 3 where things went wrong for Dewald & I, it is the toughest stage other than Ouberg with a long gradual climb and some rolling hills in between. After Baviaansgat the group splintered somewhat and for most of the stage we were now about 5 riders sticking together. I felt fairly strong on the climbs but held back a little because I knew a long day lied ahead. After the last climb there is a long 5km downhill to waterpoint 3, at this point the other riders pulled away from Dewald & I but we were happy that we safely avoided any mishaps on this section.

Dewald & I @ Waterpoint 3
Again our support crew was waiting at the waterpoint, having a little picnic in the middle of the Karoo. We had a quick bite for lunch and then we were off with another 2 riders hanging onto our tails. We had the wind from behind and the going was easy, we gradually made ground on the other riders that left us just before the waterpoint but as we got closer to Ouberg Dewald & I slowed down to rest the legs as much as possible before the climbing started and the other riders again pulled away.

Climbing Ouberg the this time round was easier than in 2014, knowing how far still to go to makes a big difference mentally. I knew some sections would be too steep to cycle anyway so you just walk them until the gradient flattens a little. I was also determined to just go at my own pace, and ignore anyone that pass me or that I might pass. I quickly settled into a rhythm, and to my surprise I was soon catching & passing other riders at regular intervals. I probably made it about half way up the mountain before a steep section defeated me and I had to walk a bit. The cramps stayed away and I managed to ride about 2/3rds of the mountain, cresting after about 1h30m, a full 30m faster than my previous attempt and only 10 minutes slower than the front riders.

Ouberg at Sunset - Brutal & Beautiful 

After Ouberg and the last waterpoint there is about 50km left to the finish in Sutherland. It was now 17h00, I was still feeling strong and thought I could reach Sutherland just after sunset before the night gets really cold. Howeverwhen the sun set at 18h00 I was still about 25km away from the finish line. The freezing cold descended with the darkness and I regretted leaving my leg warmers at the last waterpoint! It was also just about at this point my Garmin's battery ran out so I had only the darkness for companion with no way to tell how I was progressing towards the finish line. The last hour felt like 3, with the cold, sore body and rutty roads really testing your sanity as you crawl towards the finish.

Support crew patiently awaiting my arrival in Sutherland.
The lightened NG church tower is a cherished sight for every Trans Karoo riders as they approach the last bit to Sutherland (the same cannot be said for the rutted descent to the tar road!). I managed to finish in 12h20 in 15th position, with Dewald rolling in as the church bell striked 20h00. Trans Karoo is a massive physical & mental challenge, with the wide open lonely spaces, Ouberg, the cold and  the rutty roads. Anyone who finish this challenge can be truly proud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sub-3 Argus - Part 1 - Assembling the pieces of the puzzle

CTCT 2017 -The puppet that never got the chance to grow into a real live boy

Sani2C - Day 2 - Umkomaas Valley